People get confused between Cannabis and hemp. There are a plethora of varieties of Cannabis sativa. Hemp is one of them containing less than 0.3% THC. Colorado hemp oil extracted from hemp seed comes with a dark green colour and nutty flavour in an unrefined state. The flavour increases with the darkness of the colour. It is mainly used in body care products such as soaps, shampoos and detergents. Broad-spectrum hemp oil contains essential fatty acids omega-6 to omega-3 in a 3:1 ratio.
Extraction of Hemp Oil
In order to get full-spectrum hemp extract from the hemp stalk, a commercial solvent is used. There are different types of solvents available in the market with both good and bad effects. Some popular methods are given below—
- CO2 extraction: In this process, the stalks of the hemp are exposed to high-pressure, low-temperature CO2 gas to separate and preserve the cannabinoids in the oil.
- Ethanol extraction: Ethanol extraction is relatively safe and non-toxic in small amounts. But in this process, the plant waxes are completely destroyed.
- Olive oil extraction: It is a cost-effective process that ensures some health benefits such as reducing inflammation or increasing immunity.
- Butane or hexane extraction: These are the most useful solvents for extracting cannabinoids from the hemp. However, they remain in the oil after extraction which can be harmful to your lungs.
Types of Hemp Oil
There are different types of hemp oil available in the market such as
- Hemp oil- It is extracted from the stalk of the hemp plant because of its CBD content.
- Hemp seed oil- This oil is extracted from hemp seed containing a small amount of THC or CBD.
- CBD oil- The whole hemp plant, including the flowering portion, is used to make CBD oil.
- Cannabis oil- Cannabis oil is obtained from Cannabis sativa that contains a higher amount of THC.
Colorado hemp oil has several benefits and there are other benefits yet to discover. According to the research and medical evidence at hand, these are some prominent benefits of elixinol hemp extract—
- Good for anxiety: A study in 2011 showed that the CBD oil effectively decreased anxiety because it works in the limbic part of the human brain responsible for “fight-or-flight” response.
- For epilepsy: People suffering from epilepsy for years can use the broad-spectrum hemp oil as it contains CBD-rich medical cannabis. According to a recent retrospective study out of Israel, it is clear that the CBD in hemp oil helps to the decrease in seizure activity.
- Reduces pain: Some recent data studies show that the combination of THC and CBD in tropical hemp oil helps to reduce pain.
- Effective for Alzheimer’s disease: According to a small study on mice in 2014, it is clear that CBD oil prevents the development of social recognition deficit.
You should be very careful while choosing a hemp oil and if possible, ask for a third-party recommendation. Always start with a lower dose, since it may have some side-effects including low blood pressure, dry mouth, light-headedness etc. So always consult with your healthcare provider and choose the appropriate dose.